The PWU has grown over the years into one of the strongest and most flexible unions in Canada. Our past tells an exciting story and our future is promising.
A legacy of hard work
The PWU has been diligently representing skilled workers in the energy sector for seven decades. In 1944, the formation of the Employees’ Association of Ontario Hydro laid the foundation of our union. In 1955, the Association became the Ontario Hydro Employees’ Union. That same year, it affiliated with the National Union of Public Service Employees, which subsequently became the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), Canada’s largest union in 1963. Our present name – the Power Workers’ Union – was adopted in 1993.
A look into our past through photos